If Fethullah Gülen refuses any charismatization and declines any authority over the Gülen Movement, what form exactly does his leadership take?
Fethullah Gülen is best described as a servant leader. The qualities that characterize him as a servant leader are:
- self-awareness or awareness of his personal responsibility;
- assumption of a primary commitment to serving the needs of others;
- dedication of his life to solving social problems;
- passionate activism;
- being always upright, truthful, trustworthy and just;
- dialogue competencies, communication skills and being an empathetic listener;
- seeking to convince others rather than coercing compliance;
- effectiveness at building consensus within groups;
- promoting a sincere dialogue among cultures, religions and civilizations;
- profound appreciation of the Islamic sciences and contemporary-modern thought;
- ability to understand lessons from the past without ignoring the realities of the present;
- ability to evaluate the past, present, and future to reach a new synthesis;
- stretching his thinking to encompass broader-based conceptual thinking;
- seeking a delicate balance between conceptual thinking and a day-to-day operational approach;
- being goal-centered and project-oriented;
- doing everything in his power to nurture the spiritual, personal and professional growth of all people within his community;
- and building a community based on the principles of servant leadership.
- Created on .